The most luscious, creamy, soft , decadent dessert is a mousse. I have always craved to make a perfect , airy, light mousse but I never got a chance to make it.
But in recent lockdown times, baking is a regular affair. I had some leftover ganache in refrigerator from Father’s Day cake and some whipped cream which was leftover after making my son’s birthday cake.
Voila !! I mixed the two items and I got the most easy, luscious, tasty chocolate mousse done within minutes .
- Dark Chocolate chopped – 1 cup or 175 grams
- Whipping cream chilled – 1/2 cup
- Whipping cream room temp – 1/2 cup
- Icing sugar – 1 tbsp
- Instant coffee powder – 1 tsp
- Oreos – 8-10 crumbled
- In a heat safe bowl, add chopped chocolate , coffee powder and 1/2 cup room temperature cream .
- Melt the mix using the double boiler method. Take a pan smaller than the bowl and pour a glass of water. When the water starts to simmer, place the heat safe bowl on top of pan. Make sure the water in pan doesn’t touch the bowl.
- Keep stirring and once the chocolate is completely melted the mixture will be glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool down. Let it come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a chilled bowl , take the chilled 1/2 cup whipping cream and add 1 tbsp icing sugar. Using an electric whisk, whisk the whipping cream till stiff peaks form.
- Add half of whipping cream to the cooled ganache and fold it in with a spatula lightly.
- Add this chocolate cream mix to the rest of the whipping cream and fold in lightly with spatula. Do not mix vigorously or the cream will deflate.
- Prepare three or 4 bowl or glasses depending how much quantity you want to serve as one serving. I prefer 4 glasses.
- At the bottom of the glass layer crumbled oreos and then spoon in the mousse and then top with crumbled oreos again.
- Keep in refrigerator to set for atleast 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.
- If you want to leave out coffee , it’s your choice. I personally feel that coffee elevates the taste of chocolate .
- You can also use 3 tbsp Bailey’s Irish cream instead of coffee and add it to chilled whipping cream at time to whipping it up. It also gives a great boozy taste.
- You can omit oreos and use any gluten free cookies crumbled to make it gluten free. You can have this mousse without any cookie also to make it gluten free.