Sponge cakes are the multi purpose cakes. They for the base for any frosted cake, puddings, desserts or can be eaten just like that.
I am sharing a simple yet fool proof recipe for a vanilla sponge cake.
This sponge cake formed the base for my pineapple cream cake in the picture. A must keep recipe for all.
- Maida or all purpose flour – 1 cup plus 1/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Condensed milk – 200gms
- Powdered sugar – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 50 gms softened at room temp
- Oil – 2.5 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Drinking soda water – 1/2 cup
- Mix maida, baking powder and baking soda and sieve the mixture thrice to get a nice sponge.
- In a separate bowl, whisk butter and sugar till light .
- Then mix in condensed milk and oil and whisk everything well.
- Add the dry mix little by little and add drinking soda water, vanilla essence and whisk everything together to get a lump free batter.
- Preheat oven at 180*c for 10 mins.
- Pour the batter in a prepared 6″ round pan and bake for 30 mins at 180*c .
- After 30 mins check by inserting the skewer. If it comes clean it’s done.
- Leave to cool in pan for 10 mins and then de mould and cool on a cooling rack for atleast an hour.
- This gives half kg sponge cake and with frosting it can be made into a 1 kg cake.
- Frost this cake atleast after 3-4 hours of cooling .