Tinda or apple gourd is one of the healthiest vegeatable and a staple in Indian household. Kids generally start making faces on listening that the menu for dinner or lunch involves tinda.
Here is a recipe that will make all of us love and relish this vegetable and even make it appear on the menu when guests arrive for dinner.
Try making this version of tinda to fall in love with it.
Stuffed apple gourd with tangy spicy gravy
For the stuffed tindas
Tinda -8 pcs
Paneer 1 cup grated
Onion 1 chopped
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Salt, red chilli powder – as per taste
Coriander powder 1tsp
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Sauf 1/2 tsp
Oil 5-6 tablespoons
Onion paste 1 cup
Tomato 3 large
Cashew nuts 6-7
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Green chillies 2 chopped( optional as i use them after taking out kids portions)
Whole spices – 1 Black cardamom, 1 star anise , 1 small stick cinnamon, 1 bay leaf , 4 cloves , 5 black peppercorns ( smash with mortar and pestle)
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Salt, red chillies powder as per taste
Kasoori methi 1 tsp
Milk 1/2 cup warm with few strands of kesar
Cream 1/2 cup
1. Wash the tinda well and pat dry. Cut the top and core the tindas making a katori out of them. Chop up the cored out tinda.
2. Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil. Crackle cumin, sauf and add ginger garlic paste and onions. Sautee them for 2 mins. Add the chopped tinda core and masalas. Cooked for 5 mins. Add paneer and mix everything well. The filling is ready
3. Fill the stuffing in the tindas. With a toothpick secure the top and close all stuffed tindas.
4. Heat a flat based pan with 3 tbsp oil and place the tindas all around the pan. Cover and cook for 8-10 mins on low heat.
5. Tindas will leave water…when the water dries out, cook in open pan for couple of mins to give browning by swirling around the oil.
Alternatively u can cook tindas in oven for approx 15-20 mins on 200*c
6. Meanwhile heat a pan, add 2 tbsp oil and add all whole spices till fragrant.
7. Add onion paste and ginger garlic paste. Sautee till it turns brown. Add salt and lil bit sugar to caramelise it
8. Meanwhile grind tomatoes, cashew and almonds in a paste.
9. When onions are brown, add coriander, red chillie powder, green chillies. Add tomato paste and mix everything well. Cook the masala covered on medium heat till the oil seperates. U can add lil bit water if mix is too dry.
10. Add little cream , kasoori methi and milk and give it a boil and remove from heat.
11. Pour the gravy in dish and place stuffed baked tindas on top. Remove the tinda cap. Decorate with garam masala, chopped coriander and cream.